Sunday 21 April 2013

Barry M Gelly Hi Shine, We Meet Again: Review

Guess who's back?
Back again.
Holly's back. 
(with more new stuff woop woop)
Tell a friend.
(via GFC, Bloglovin', or maybe even a tweet, yeah?)




So it would have been fully rude to neglect Boots at a time when their make-up is on a glorious 3 for 2 offer right? Yes, right indeed, and sensing that I'd been biding my time just a few days and weeks too long into this offer, and that it's end may be near, I knew a teeny, tiny bit of spending may be required.
Now with Barry M, it's pretty much guaranteed to be teeny, tiny spending, so me and my poor, empty bank wouldn't feel all that guilty about it :)

We still do feel guilty, I'm still pre pay day, but now I have pretty nails and all is better again...


As you might know, I'm a huge Barry M fan, (despite this small disaster a few months back) and just think they're amaaaazing value for what you get. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of Essie polishes - hell I'd probably drink them if it was safe, but at pretty much £8 a piece, it's a case of taking a good long look at myself and remembering it's just not necessary.
Apart from you, Mint Candy Apple, you beautiful piece of...apple?
You will be mine.

Anyhoo yes, so I ended up picking some of their newly released Spring/Summer range of Gelly Hi-Shine shades, namely Lychee, (which my mum-and-most-avid-reader thinks is poo, but I think is uber classy and versatile) Greenberry, (which is a crazy mix of strong mint and turquoise, and will look awesomeee with a tan!) and Papaya, (a peachy-coral) which my mum has proudly on her toesies!


l-r Lychee, Greenberry, Papaya
I opted for Lychee on zee fingers today, over a base coat of O.P.I Nail Envy, (review coming soon, oooh the suspense!) and umm, at first I wasn't too impressed. It's such a lovely nude colour, and dried with the expected 'gelly hi-shine' effect, but after one fairly streaky coat, I was a but miffed. 
Thankfully, coat number two solved my streaking issues, and it's dried perfectly evenly in the end. I needn't have worried.
The brush is a little on the skinny side for my liking - I kept missing bits at the edges, but again for under four quid I'm not going to complain - it's probably my lack of polish-application skills that caused that... 
I mean to say I kept missing out the edges, I did a pretty good job of coating my poor cuticles and, well, my fingers. 
And the nail polish bottle. 
 Yeahh...

So where was I? 
Oh yes, I finished off with a coat of my teeny, tiny, diddy ickle Seche Vite Top Coat (review also coming soon - see, spoiling you I am) - £2.40 on eBay, bargain!
Although it will probably only last me 2.4 nail polish sessions...


The finished result doesn't look too shoddy, if I do say so myself...just errmm...don't look too closely.
Hopefully my 'generic-holding-nail-polish-in-hand-with-painted-nails' pose will distract your eyes from my cuticles.





Okay that's enough close up's of my hand.
I was beginning to remind myself of a rather freaky nightmare involving demonic hands I had as a child.
No one likes demonic hands.

I merely couldn't decide whether the pictures looked better with the flash on, or off...so I stuck them all on.

I was also going to treat you to some pictures of mine and my mums newly prettied up toes, mine wearing Greenberry, and my mum's wearing Papaya, but having freaky hands and *shock horror* FEET of all things in one post, might just make you all run and leave me blogging all to myself.
I mean my mum would still read it, but mannn, I'd miss you guys.

Also, the amount of hysterics we had taking those pictures, meant our feet looked all kinds of deformed shapes and sizes...trust me, not one of you would have been tempted to pop off and buy Barry M's latest offering after seeing those.
Poor Bazza.

On a serious note though, I do recommend them, for such a small price they're pretty amazing, and every single colour I have, or have seen, is stunning. Also on a serious note, a slight disappointment; I managed under 24 hours before getting my first chips, (yes, plural!) with both Lychee, and Greenberry on my toes. I don't remember this being the case with Blueberry and Blood Orange, (the other shades I own) so whether this is my poor application on the day or the actual polish is anyone's guess, but it's something to note...

I'm going to leave you, quite randomly with the song that my phone - also randomly - started playing by itself earlier...just because it is as Summery as these colours, and ermm, because I've been 'singing' it all the way through writing this post...




17 comments:

  1. Ooo I really want to get the OPI nail envy and the Seche Vite top coat! Ive heard such amazing things about them both! Oh and if you love Essie polishes you should check out our TK Maxx in town they often have them in packs of 3 and theyre dirt cheap :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg really?!?! I need to get there haha!! Thanks lovely xx

      Delete
  2. I still haven't got my hands on these and I really want to try them out! Normally, I'm not a nude/pale coloured person, but I do love Lychee and Greenberry looks like a lovely spring colour

    A little bit Unique - Blog // Please vote for me in the Company blog awards, best fashion - newcomer

    x


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I think I'm getting more into nudes as time goes on, and Greenberry is gorgeous!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Think I need to add lychee to the list for after the spending ban!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, plus it won't break the bank :)
      xx

      Delete
  4. ahh they're all so cute! I love mint candy apple (: and any greeny-blue pastels (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looove these hi shine ones but I did find they chipped really quickly, did you have better luck?

    http://nataliewrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point!! I've now updated my post to include this - can't believe I forgot, it was one of my main points to say haha...bad blogger I am, yes I had chips within the first day, not so good :/

      xxx

      Delete
  6. Ah, I've seen these Barry M. Gellies on so many blogs and they're so lovely! You picked some super pretty shades. Glad you're liking them! So wish we had Barry M. here in Canada!

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you :) I'm sure you have some awesome stuff in Canada that we don't have too :( xx

      Delete
  7. love those colours! :) xxx

    www.trustinvogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those colours are lovely! Boots always has a 3 for 2 offer on. It does my head in trying to find the 3rd item! I'm a slave to offers!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lychee is probably on my nails 5 days of the week I love it! Your blog is perfect x

    Blog: http://www.cocochicblog.co.uk
    Bloglovin: http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/1823055

    ReplyDelete
  10. booooo to the chips, heres hoping it was a one off. i hate chips, they suck! loving your blog doll :)

    find me at
    BreezeyBee Blog
    xoXo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aahh I really need to try these! Love the look of the finish of them X

    http://aztecdoll.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Just a big thank you to anyone who takes the time to leave a comment, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it, and I genuinely love to read, and will TRY and reply to each and every one of them.